Gladys McCoy was a pioneer for women and black leaders in Portland. Her civic accomplishments include desegregation of elementary schools, the creation of middle schools, bussing and magnet programs. The 1922 landmark building located at the highly visible intersection of SW Stark and Fifth is owned by Multnomah County and known as the Gladys McCoy Building, in her honor. The County hired OHPD to restore the building exterior and return her splendor. The scope included concrete restoration, window restoration and entrance storefront and canopy.